- Jun 4: “Everyday is Ordinary”
- Jun 4: “Transmission ”
- Jun 4: Cynthia Gregory: “Of Reference, Of Departure, Of Origin”
- Jun 4: “Emily Fleisher”
- More »
- May 5:
The Big Give
- May 20:
Red Dot 2015
- More »
- Feb 28, 2015-Jun 1, 2015: “Icon ” (Semmes Library)
Seniors & B-Cycle Members: $3
Military, Veterans, Students with ID and Blue Star Members: Free
The Berlin Residency Program
CALL FOR ARTISTS: Blue Star Contemporary Berlin Residency Program
Submissions open March 5, 2015
Proposal deadline April 15, 2015
Notification date May 1, 2015
Apply via Slideroom at https://bluestarart.slideroom.com/#/login/program/25183
Blue Star Contemporary Art Museum seeks proposals from artists living and working in Bexar County for three-month residencies in Berlin, Germany. We are pleased to continue this program after an astoundingly successful two years. In partnership with Künstlerhaus Bethanien, Blue Star awards four artists annually the opportunity to live and conduct their studio practice in one of the world’s most significant art centers, Berlin, Germany.
Künstlerhaus Bethanien is a non-profit organization that has earned a worldwide reputation for its international residency studio program. The residency includes a $2000 travel stipend. Künstlerhaus Bethanien provides studio and living space with access to a common area, Internet connection, laundry facilities, and various workshops. The 2015-2016 Residency cycles are: July 15, 2015 - October 8, 2015, October 15, 2015 - January 8, 2016, January 15, 2016 - April 8, 2016, April 15, 2016 - July 8, 2016. Applicants must be able to attend during these dates but may select their preferences in the application. Following the completion of each artist residency an exhibition of artworks made during the residency and since the artists return, will be held at Blue Star Contemporary. More information about the Künstlerhaus Bethanien can be found at: www.bethanien.de/en/
Four artists will be selected by a jury to participate in the 2015-2016 Blue Star Contemporary Berlin Residency Program, based on their application consisting of a CV, letter of intent, and portfolio.
· Currently reside in Bexar County and conduct a significant portion of their artistic practice/outreach in San Antonio.
· Must have at least five years of relevant work experience and/or specialized arts training, such as a degree or certificate.
· Derive a portion of individual earned income from their artistic practice or areas related to their field or demonstrate a clear investment of time and resources into their artistic practice.
· Have professional portfolios that include publicly displayed and possibly published works.
· A current CV including exhibition record, education/training, professional experience, lectures, publications, etc. and contact information – email, phone number, current physical address and website.
· A letter of intent expressing why the artist believes she or he should be chosen for the Berlin Residency at Künstlerhaus Bethanien. The written proposal letter must be a maximum of 500 words.
· A 15-image portfolio of the artist’s work. Some images may be detail, but must not constitute the majority of the portfolio. The artwork in the portfolio must have been completed within the past five years. Maximum image file size 5 MB. Maximum video file size 60 MB.
· All proposals must be submitted via Slideroom at https://bluestarart.slideroom.com/ before 5:00 p.m. April 15, 2015.
· There is a $10 administrative fee for submitting your application. The fee is paid directly to Slideroom.
Other important information:
· Applicants will be notified regarding the status of their submission on May 15, 2015. Please do not contact Blue Star regarding the status of your submission.
· Contact Information: Direct questions regarding the application process or the residency to Jack McGilvray, Exhibitions and Programs Manager by phone at 210-227-6960 or email at email@example.com.
Blue Star Selected Artists for 2014-2015 Berlin Residency Program
Justin Boyd, Chris Sauter, Adriana Corral, and Jessica Halonen
The 2014-15 Blue Star Contemporary Berlin Residency Program is made possible in part by the support of City of San Antonio Department for Culture and Creative Development, 1010 South Flores Lofts and 1111 Austin Highway Lofts, Ann and Bill FitzGibbons, Ruth Chang and Russell Nadeau, and Ruiz-Healy Art.
Blue Star Selected Artists for 2013-2014 Berlin Residency Program
Ricky Armendariz, Vincent Valdez, Cathy Cunningham-Little, and Karen Mahaffy
Supporters of the 2013 - 2014 cycle of the program included:
City of San Antonio Office for Cultural and Creative Development, the University of Texas San Antonio, Palo Alto College and 1010 South Flores Lofts and 1111 Austin Highway Lofts.
116 Blue Star, San Antonio, TX 78204
(210) 227-6960 | Contact Us | Hours
Blue Star Contemporary gratefully acknowledges major support from the City of San Antonio Department for Culture & Creative Development; The Lifshutz Family; Ann Griffith Ash; The Brown Foundation, Inc.; Charles C. Butt; Capital Group; Penelope Speier and Sonny Collins; H-E-B; Ricos Products Co., Inc.; Valero Energy Corporation; and Weston Urban. Additional essential support is provided by 1010 South Flores Lofts and 1111 Austin Highway Lofts; Argo Group; Bury, Inc.; Casa Rio & Schilo's; C.H. Guenther & Son, Inc.; Pat and Geof Edwards; Frost Bank; King William Association; Muñoz and Company; The NRP Group, LLC; Rackspace; Silver Eagle Distributors; Strasburger & Price, LLP; Texas Commission on the Arts; and the Community Partners, Members, Individual Donors, and Board of Directors of Blue Star Contemporary.
© Contemporary Art For San Antonio 2015
- May 20: